How can it help?
When you have osteoarthritis, there may not be enough natural hyaluronan in the joint, and the quality of that hyaluronan may be poorer than normal. CingalTM is used to supplement (add) hyaluronan to the knee joint. CingalTM also contains a steroid, triamcinolone hexacetonide, which provides short-term and long-lasting pain relief by reducing inflammation, while the hyaluronan component provides long-lasting pain relief. CingalTM is given in a single shot (injection) directly into the knee joint.
What are the advantages?
CingalTM combines the benefits of a trusted anti-inflammatory with Monovisc® to relieve OA knee pain. The anti-inflammatory component offers fast pain relief generally beginning 24 hours after administration and Monovisc®’s hyaluronan offers effective OA pain relief for up to 6 months.
The effectiveness of CingalTM has not been established for more than one course of treatment.
What is it used for?
CingalTM is the first and only single-injection treatment that quickly relieves knee pain due to osteoarthritis (OA) while providing sustained pain reduction.
It is used for patients who do not get adequate pain relief from simple pain relievers like acetaminophen or from exercise and physical therapy.
Is CingalTM right for me?
You should not use CingalTM if any of the following points apply to you:
- If you are allergic to hyaluronan products or to preparations containing triamcinolone hexacetonide.
- If you have any known allergies. You should consult your healthcare professional to determine if you are able to receive a CingalTM injection.
- If you have infections or skin diseases around the injection site.
What should I expect?
Your qualified physician or properly licensed practitioner will administer a single injection of CingalTM (4 mL) into your knee. For 48 hours after you receive the injection, you should avoid activities such as jogging, tennis, heavy lifting or standing on your feet for a long time (more than an hour).
If any of these symptoms or signs appear after you are given CingalTM, or if you have any other problems, you should call or visit your healthcare professional.
Safety and side effects
- CingalTM should be injected by a qualified physician or properly licensed practitioner.
- Tell your healthcare professional if you have any known allergies before CingalTM is administered.
- The safety and effectiveness of CingalTM have not been shown in pregnant or nursing women. You should tell your healthcare professional if you are pregnant or nursing.
- Side effects are sometimes seen when CingalTM is injected into the knee joint. These can include: pain, swelling, heat, rash, itching, bruising and/or redness. You may also feel achy. The skin at the injection site may become thinner or change in colour. You may experience facial flushing. These reactions are generally mild and do not last long.
CingalTM, Monovisc® and Orthovisc® may not be suitable for everyone. Talk to your doctor if you have questions regarding these products, or for more information on pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee. CingalTM, Monovisc®, and Orthovisc® are trademarks of Anika Therapeutics Inc., used under licence by Pharmascience Inc. Pendopharm, Division of Pharmascience Inc. Product Licences are pertinent to use in Canada. Product Licences herein are not approved for use in the U.S.